Friday, March 3, 2017

Safety for whom?

I recently received a notice about the police depart in the city where I reside titled "Community Safety, Immigration, and the [City] Police Department." This was essentially a notice to the residents that the police do not work on behalf of ICE. It says things like "All persons in the City ... will be treated with respect, integrity and professionalism by ... police officers." The closest they will come to saying anything about actually enforcing immigration law is that they may partner with ICE in order to pursue a known felon.

This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in my local police department. Basically, their statement that they "are committed to providing a safe and pleasant community for all individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, place of origin, or immigration status," rings hollow to me. I don't believe it, and I don't see them working to convince me of it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment