Friday, December 29, 2017

My first attempt at barbecue

I have been a fan of barbecue for a long time. While living in the Salt Lake area, there were a few places I could go to get good barbecue. However, when I moved to the Portland area I was not able to find any good places for barbecue. So, I have wanted to make my own for a few years. This year for Father's Day my wife got me a Weber kettle grill. In fact, it was this Weber Original Kettle Premium grill in copper. I knew that a lot of third party accessories are made for these grills, and I began to look around for one that would allow me to make barbecue. For Christmas, my wife got me the Slow 'N Sear from Adrenaline Barbecue Company. I was excited to say the least. In addition my parents had gotten me a dual probe digital thermometer for Christmas. I was not willing to attempt barbecue without a thermometer, but this one allows me to monitor the temperature of the meat and the pit from inside the house.

Ultimately, I'm looking to make brisket, and pulled pork. But I thought something a little less ambitious for my first outing made sense. So, two days ago I picked up a rack of St. Louis ribs from the grocery store, intending to make them yesterday. When I spent that night sick with a fever, those plans got pushed out. There was no way I would be doing much of anything yesterday. This morning I was feeling well enough, so I decided to make the ribs tonight.

So, removing the membrane and applying salt, spicy brown mustard, and essentially the rub from this recipe, I prepared the ribs for the cook.
 There was not a lot of preparation that went into this. Something I can definitely handle doing again.

I then got the grill going. This took a bit more effort because I didn't have any of the handy paraffin charcoal starter tabs. I ended up using brown paper with a bit of vegetable oil on it. Once the charcoal was started, I loaded up the rest of the compartment with charcoal and a few hickory chips, added water to the reservoir, put the ribs on the grill, and placed the thermometer probe. I then watched as the temperature slowly climbed in the grill to 150°F. This was the trigger to close down the vents to keep the fire low. Then I let the temperature get up to 225°F. It kept going up, and I realized I had not adjusted the bottom vent. I caught it before the temperature went above 239°. Once I got the temperature under control, I just let things be. I would occasionally adjust a vent as the temperature climbed or dropped more than I liked for it to, but it was mostly letting it be.

About five hours later, I performed the bend test on the ribs and I saw what I believed to be cracks indicating the appropriate doneness. So I took them off.

After an appropriate resting period, I sliced them up. They sure looked pretty inside.

My wife and I sat down to eat with three ribs apiece. I had gotten out some prepared barbecue sauces because I know she likes them. I intended to eat mine naked, as long as the taste was good. As it turns out, I needn't have worried. They tasted great. My wife even said, "now I know how people can say good barbecue doesn't need sauce." And she barely used any. Even after going back for seconds.

I can say that I wouldn't  have been able to do this without the grill, the Slow 'N Sear, and the thermometer. But with them I have produced some of the best barbecue I have eaten. I said I'd have to do this again, and my wife agreed. I look forward to making pulled pork, and brisket as well. Maybe some beef ribs, and sausages if I can find them. For now, I'll just enjoy the memory of a good cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment