Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Book Recommendation: Thinking, Fast and Slow

I recently completed reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. Considering the book was published more than ten years ago, I'm getting to it fairly late. But because the book is about human nature, and our thinking the ideas presented are enduring. Understanding about some of these ideas mare have been refined since the book was published, but many of the insights are still valuable.
I've seen the book discussed many times in the past, which is why I picked it up when I saw it was available through my local library's ebook program. I am glad I did. There are ideas in there that have changed my perspective. One example is the oft-cited bat and ball problem. I had encountered this question years ago, and I got it right the first time I saw it. (I will admit that my initial impression was  wrong, but immediately after I adjusted my answer before looking at the correct answer.) Because I got it right, I always discounted the statements that most people would answer incorrectly. That is until I read this book and explained it to my wife and my sister. They both immediately responded with the wrong answer without thinking about it any further.

Overall, I gave this book a rating of four out of five stars. The first three parts are very strong; part four is still good; and part five is much weaker. I reduced the overall rating for the lack of quality in the later portion of the book. Despite this, I still think the ideas presented earlier in the work is worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment