Tuesday, May 22, 2018

It's looking like I'll be ditching the specs

Spectacles that is.

I had an appointment with my optometrist yesterday, and I had previously done quite a bit of research into LASIK (and other associated vision correction surgeries) prior to this meeting. As I discussed the options with the doctor, he conceded that the benefits were enjoyable, and I was well versed in the potential risks. He seemed to think I was not approaching this with unrealistic expectations, as some patients do.

I am myopic, with a bit of astigmatism. But apparently I am well within the correctable range. And at the clinic I have selected 72% of patients with eyesight similar to my own (a little over -4 diopters) have a result of 20/20 vision or better. If an enhancement is needed, 93% get a 20/20 or better result.

The only potential area for concern that has been identified so far is that my pupils are large. To the point that they exceed the corrected area in dim lighting. This means I will likely be affected by "halos" in dim lights.

Anyway, in a few weeks I will have another appointment with my optometrist to get the full referral paperwork completed, and then 10 days later (assuming nothing comes up to prevent the procedure) I will have my eyes corrected.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have any nervousness. But I am willing to proceed despite that. I am hopeful for an improved quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment