Thursday, May 3, 2018

Podcast Recommendation: Revolutions

Over the past few years I have been listening to the Revolutions Podcast hosted by Mike Duncan. He previously produced the History of Rome Podcast, so this one starts from the beginning with good production values, and a host who is confident in his presentation with a strong authorial voice. He has just finished a series on the revolutions in Europe in 1848 that comprises 33 episodes, and is about to start a series on the second French Revolution. He has also covered the English Revolution, the American Revolution, the French Revolution, the Haitian Revolution, the South American Spanish Revolution, and the July Revolution of 1830 (in France).

I have enjoyed this podcast for how extensively each of these are covered. Even the American Revolution series is deeper than what I was presented when covering the topic in school (at whatever level.) But the host also includes quite a bit of humor in each of the episodes. He takes the history, places it in a larger context, slays misconceptions and myths, and does all of this with a wry, dry wit that I quite enjoy.

So, if you already know you like history I probably don't need to tell you anymore. Go subscribe. If you are hesitant, thinking you don't like history, all I can do is encourage you to give it a chance. Perhaps I can entice you by asking you what in the American Revolution could lead to the birth of the phrase "Gentleman Johnny's Party Train." So, go listen to the series on the American Revolution (since we can always benefit from a greater knowledge of our own history) and let me know if you don't agree that this makes the history much more enjoyable than learning a series of battles, dates, and names.

Conveniently, Mike is currently running a fundraiser for this podcast; so, check that out as well. I have no relationship with him other than as a listener to the podcast, and I have not received any compensation for making this recommendation. It's just something that I have thoroughly enjoyed, and I think you might like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment