Tuesday, March 10, 2020

#APicADay 2020: Day 70

While I intended to go take pictures this evening prior to sunset, I was instead visiting friends' property up the hill from me. I did take my camera, but they are building a home on the property, and the construction left nothing there that I was interested in photographing.
Today's image:
Fuji X-T3 with XF 18-55 @ 53mm, f/18, 1/250 s, and ISO 160
Photographing this obsidian presented some challenges I have not previously dealt with. The polished surface is very shiny, and will throw specular highlights back at you form all over the place. If you don't view it at the correct angle you can't see the bands inside the obsidian. And it was picking up dust all over the place. The dark obsidian was hard to separate from the dark background, so I placed the smaller of my two flashes off to camera left and pointed mostly at the backdrop. The main light was off to camera right and elevated to point down at the subject. The blue specular highlight on the left side of the obsidian is actually the wall of the room I was shooting in, and could have been eliminated if I had flagged the light, or extended the backdrop up higher than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment